The scholarship will be awarded to a student graduating from any Rowan-Salisbury School System high school who is or has been enrolled in a CIS Rowan school site for at least one school year during their school career.
CIS of Rowan County School sites include Hanford Dole, Koontz, North Rowan, Overton Elementary Schools; Knox and North Rowan Middle Schools. Graduating seniors who may have attended North Rowan and South Rowan High Schools prior to the 2014-2015 school year are eligible as well as those who attended Granite Quarry Elementary prior to the 2006-2007 school year. As 2015 is the first year that Isenberg Elementary has hosted a CIS program, graduating seniors who previously attended Isenberg are not eligible.
The recipient will demonstrate how the mission of Communities in Schools, “to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life” helped them to reach Graduation Day.
At least one $500 scholarship will be awarded to a 2015 graduate. A committee will receive applications and choose a scholarship winner based on:
- Application, available from RSS high school counselors or at www.rowan.communitiesinschools.org.
- Eligibility to graduate in good standing from an RSS high school during the 2014-2015 school year.
- An essay of 500 words on “How CIS helped me succeed in school.”
- Three personal references, one of which must be from a teacher from whom the student has taken at least one class.
- Description of extra-curricular activities and/or community service.
- Personal statement of financial need. (NO FINANCIAL AID FORMS REQUIRED)
- An interview with the Scholarship Committee.
- Due date: June 1, 2015. The award will be made no later than July 1, 2015.
Submit your - 1) Application; 2) Three letters of recommendation; 3) Personal essay - “How CIS helped me succeed in school” (approx. 500 words); 4) High school transcript; and 5) College acceptance letter (if received) directly to: CIS OF ROWAN COUNTY, ATTENTION: SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTTEE, 204 East Innes Street Salisbury NC 28144.