Purpose: The scholarship will be awarded to a student graduating from a Rowan-Salisbury School System high school who is or has been enrolled in a CIS Rowan school site for at least one school year during their school career.
CIS of Rowan County School Sites Eligible for 2016 Scholarship Award
Hanford Dole, Koontz, North Rowan, Isenberg, Overton Elementary Schools;
Granite Quarry Elementary (prior to 2006-2007 school year);
Knox and North Rowan Middle Schools; and
North Rowan and South Rowan High Schools (prior to 2014-2015 school year)
The recipient will demonstrate how the mission of Communities In Schools, “to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life” helped them to reach Graduation Day.
This scholarship, sponsored by CIS of Rowan County will be awarded to honor Executive Director Vicky Slusser for her many years of service to the students served by Communities in Schools.
At least one scholarship will be awarded to a 2016 graduate. The amount is yet to be determined and is subject to the support of school and community donors. A minimum of $500 is expected.
A committee will receive and choose a scholarship winner based on:
- Eligibility to graduate in good standing from an RSS high school during the 2015-2016 school year.
- An essay of approximately 500 words on “How CIS helped me succeed in school.”
- Three personal references, one of which must be from a high school teacher from whom the student has taken at least one class.
- Description of extra-curricular activities and/or community service.
- Statement of financial need. (NO FINANCIAL AID FORMS REQUIRED)
- An interview with the Scholarship Committee.
DUE DATE: MAY 1, 2016
Please include your high school transcript and three letters of reference/recommendation. At least one letter must be from a high school teacher.
Submit your - 1) APPLICATION; 2) THREE LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION; 3) PERSONAL ESSAY “How CIS helped me succeed in school”; 4) HIGH SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT; and 5) COLLEGE ACCEPTANCE LETTER (if received) directly to:
CIS OF ROWAN COUNTY - ATTN: SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTTEE
204 East Innes Street Salisbury NC 28144
Click here to view the application and apply today.