Communities In Schools of Rowan County Training Schedule SPRING 2016
School addresses can be found at www.rss.k12.nc.us.
CIS address: 204 East Innes Street, Salisbury, NC 28144.
Those training on 3/3 or 3/8 will need to complete the on-line “Child Protection Course”. Those training 3/17 or later have the option of completing the on-line “Child Protection Course” or completing the “Child Protection Course” following training via video or in-person trainer (allow an extra 1.5 hours for this training.)
Once you have selected a training date, email CISRowanVolunteerTraining@Hotmail.com with your name and choice of training date.
COMMUNITIES IN SCHOOLS OF ROWAN COUNTY
ROWAN-SALISBURY SCHOOL SYSTEM
SPRING 2016 TRAINING SCHEDULE
Communities In Schools of Rowan County
204 E. Innes St., Salisbury, NC 28144
The mission of Communities In Schools is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
Steps to Volunteer Certification
- Background Screening: Go to www.rss.k12.nc.us ➔ Go to “Community” ➔ then Click on “Volunteer” on the drop-down menu ➔ Scroll to bottom of page ➔ Click on “Background Screening”. This will take you to the “SecureVolunteer”webpage. On this site ➔ Scroll to bottom of page. Click on “I Want to Volunteer”, read the information and instructions provided, Click “Continue”. Provide all requested information. PLEASE NOTE: Until you have taken the CIS Volunteer Training, submitted all paperwork, and passed the “Child Protection Course” your name will not be released for completion of the Background Screening.
- On-Line Course: Return to www.rss.k12.nc.us. Go to “Community” ➔then Click on “Volunteer” on the drop-down menu ➔. Scroll to the bottom of the page. Locate and Click the link “CIS On-Line Child Protection Course”. Read the information provided. Scroll to the bottom of the page and Click “Start Course”. Complete all questions asked. Take the course. You will be given a test at the end of the course; you must pass the course with a minimum grade of 80%. Print the “Certification of Completion of the On-Line Child Protection Course”. This course will take about 2 hours..
- Volunteer Processing Form: Return to www.rss.k12.nc.us. Go to “Community” ➔ . Scroll to the bottom of the page. Print and complete this form You will need to take this form to the school(s) at which you wish to volunteer for the principal’s signature..
- Communities in Schools Training Registration: On the back of this form you will find the scheduled training for Spring 2016. Select a date/location for training. Email CIS at email@example.com, giving name and selected training date to register seven days prior to training.
- CIS Training Day: Attend your selected training session. Bring with you the following: A photocopy of your current driver’s license, the “Certification of Completion of the On-line Course” (above), and the completed “Volunteer Processing Form” (above). During the CIS Training you will complete additional volunteer forms. Please allow 1.5 hours for training.
Who Needs Volunteer Certification?
Volunteers requiring certification for Communities In Schools of Rowan County or Rowan-Salisbury Schools are unpaid individuals assisting with school children as:
- Classroom Helpers
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Special Event Chaperones
- Lunch Buddies
- Test Proctors
- Any Activity in which Children are Present
All Volunteers working with children must be trained and certified as a volunteer, as mandated by Communities In Schools of Rowan County and Rowan-Salisbury School System. Certification includes a Criminal Background Check, completion of the On-Line “Recognizing and Responding to Suspicions of Child Maltreatment” training, and in-class training by Communities in Schools of Rowan County.